A wealth of written evidence shows that viticulture in today’s Csopak wine region was well-established in the earliest centuries of Hungarian nationhood. Hungary’s first king, Saint Stephen, presented a fine lot of grapevines to the nuns of a Veszprém Valley cloister, established in 1018 near the village of Paloznak, and kindly included a szılıs or “viner” – a serf charged with tending to the vineyard. According to a charter from 1082, the Bishop of Veszprém had significant stakes in vineyards in Csopak. In 1211, the town of Balatonfüred became the property of the Church when it was acquired by the Tihany Abbey. In later times, the aristocracy owned substantial vineyard acreages in Csopak, not to mention tvarious kings and queens who also became proprietors.